Catch and release?!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I want all those fish mental doctors to speak up now.....

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
bogus study...prove they were previously caught and 6 days ago or less.....for gosh sakes... a PETA reference...lmao

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
No harm has been done? How do you pull the fish out of the water without having a sharp hook stuck in their mouth? What about psychological stress from being hunted for no reason? Only because a fish won't scream at you doesn't mean it can't feel pain.

Maybe with barbless hooks?

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
bogus study...prove they were previously caught and 6 days ago or less.....for gosh sakes... a PETA reference...lmao
It is not a bogus study, it is out of context. A worst case scenario isolated incident. And yet it did happen in one of those catch and release contests.

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
If that was the case then why is privately stocked ponds/lakes full of dead fish? Our city lake has a lot of catch and release but I don't see lots of dead fish. Yes barbless hooks for catch and release

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
If I'm targeting a certain species and catch other species that I know I won't eat, I'll release them. I see nothing wrong with this. Calling something cruel implies malice.

Mark

Kaliska

AC Members
Dec 6, 2015
We release much of what we catch. Sometimes I just like to see how fast I can catch bluegill. In heavily stocked areas that are starting to stunt the bluegill we will keep some for dog food. We also use any fish that has swallowed a hook or gotten damaged as dog food. If we get a nice fish like that bass, which was the best tasting fish I've ever eaten, or some good catfish we'll keep them. For catfish we usually use a small clear pond so they are clean. Stocking is maintained by the city/county in these ponds that had to be built to handle the runoff from new construction so they put them to use. This city has trout stocked in a few streams that are fed from underground and so stay cool year round.

ApistoJohn

Registered Member
Feb 21, 2016
I really do enjoy the taste of fresh fish. However I enjoy catching fish not cleaning them. So I only keep em when I'm really in the mood for some fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store