38 Gallon Brackish Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
You could just replace the glass and keep the hinge and back piece. A lot cheaper than to order a whole new top.
Oooh. That's actually a really good idea. I'll have to look into that. Thanks, Duckie.

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
I did a 45% PWC last Saturday, but unfortunately, nitrites are still unreadable. I plan to do another one either Thursday or Friday, get those levels down. The plants are doing well. The moneywort are losing a few leaves, but I think that's just part of the acclimation process. So, things are looking good for now.

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
Things are still going well. I plan on doing another 45% PWC today to bring down the nitrite levels. They're still unreadable, but they seem to be coming down a little. Ammonia was .25ppm when I tested yesterday, which was strange, as it's usually 0 after two days, so I added a little less ammonia than usual. I'm having a bit of brown algae growth on the heaters and some of the rocks, but it's not out of control yet.

I started dosing nutrients for the plants as well. I'm using Seachem products. Dosing 2.5mL of flourish excel every other day and 3.5mL of flourish weekly. The moneywort are losing some leaves, but I'm contributing it to the acclimation process for now. I'm hoping to have my snails and shrimp before the middle of November, so I'll post pictures of them when I get them. I'll most likely order online, as I don't like any of the pet stores or LFSs within 45 minutes of my house.

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
The cycle seems to be nearing completion! Nitrite levels have dropped to 5ppm, and I didn't even have to do the second water change. I'm now dosing 25mL of ammonia daily just to keep up, otherwise both drop to 0. It's later than I hoped, but maybe I'll have some shrimp and snails by next week, and we can finally start converting to brackish! I'm gonna pick up some instant ocean salt this weekend.

I'm also having a touch of algae growth, both green and brown. It's mostly on the rocks and driftwood, but there's also a touch on the glass. It's nowhere near out of control, but I'll probably scrub it with a clean toothbrush later and see if it helps. The tank still looks great, though. I'll post pictures later.

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
The cycle is complete! My beneficial bacteria can now break down 4ppm of ammonia in twenty four hours. I'm going to order Amano shrimp and zebra nerite snails for Monday shipment, so we can finally start converting this thing from freshwater to brackish!

I'm also having some brown algae problems, but it's not out of hand. There is some growing on the plants, but no effects so far. I plan to do a cleanup once I get a toothbrush or an algae scrubber. Hopefully the algae won't explode before then.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
and start adjusting the photo period....

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
You mean I should shorten it?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
just thought that you are getting algae but you are cycling....it could be feeding off the high levels...it may back off with the tank finally getting cycled.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
A big waterchange now that the cycle is done may help with knocking down the nutrients for the algae. It won't hurt anything as there is nothing in the tank but the plants.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Yes, I agree with what RB and Duk said. Waiting for the first additions to the tank. Your tank is ready.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store