Koi angelfish 670-gallon planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KenLe

AC Members
Sep 27, 2015
The tank does sit on slab foundation :)

I designed the tank from the beginning to minimize maintenance, especially in choice of plants. All are rooted and slow growing plants with the exception of Ammania Gracillis, which is easy to trim given the large stem size. Lighting is on timer. Dosing is automatic via the Dosing pump. Water evaporation is replaced via timer and leveler from water stored in a 50-gallon tank inside the stand.

Daily maintenance: feeding.
Weekly maintenance: 30% water change once a week

KenLe

AC Members
Sep 27, 2015
Fertilizer dosing: so far, I have never tested the water parameters. After weekly water change (2 hours), I put in a few scoops of Ca/MgSO4 4:1 powder mix, a few scoops of KCL powder. The dosing pump deals with Iron replacement (twice a day) and sometimes, Potassium nitrate if I feel that the plants are not doing well. I have 3 20-lbs CO2 tank feeding into the tank. The refugium in the stand is a 180-gallon tank, with 2 sock filters for mechanical filter (changed weekly as well).

Tank cleaning: all done by internal cleaning crew of Bristle nose, Panda Garra, Oto. I don't touch the acrylic surface to minimize scratching.

A reef tank of any size is a full-time job. I already have 2 full-time jobs, thus, the freshwater planted tank. If setup properly, should take less than 3 hours a week for maintenance. I am trying to grow out the angelfish, so currently, I feed them mainly frozen beef heart and frozen Daphnia/Cyclops.

Last edited:

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
Thanks for supplying more information. I'm fascinated by your set up.

Somehow you made it sound relatively simple.

The only bad part is now it makes the rest of look like we are dabbling in child's play.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
So cool..

When a 6ft, 180g tank (underneath in the stand) looks tiny in comparison, that's a BIG tank!

The lighting alone is 880watts (16, 48" T5HOs). No worse than running a small electric space heater I guess.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
So what is the tank on the bottom for? "Refugium" or something? Or just a plant grow out tank?

KenLe

AC Members
Sep 27, 2015
I recently added automatic water change to eliminate weekly water change.

The 180-gallon refugium is a habit from my reef tank day. It is added insurance, and acts as a sump as well.

Updated video:

IMG_0535.JPG

KenLe

AC Members
Sep 27, 2015
For lighting, I actually only run 8 hours of lighting with 4 bulbs; 4 of those hours with 8 bulbs. I use the remaining 4 bulbs for remote-controlled lighting when I need to feed the fish or off-hour viewing.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Pretty sweet tank! I thought the bottom tank looked like some kind of 'fuge; but wasn't sure. Automatic water change system... did you do a complete DIY or did you borrow anyones ideas? I don't think I would incorporate something like that for my current tank; but I dream big and would LOVE to have a truly automatic system when I finally get my "big tank."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store