Calcium buildup removal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
I believe it's calcium built up in my tank and hood, it's a white color and tan color. What's the best way to clean this off? Tank is fully drained yo thoroughly clean it.

Also what's best way to prevent this from happening besides getting a RO unit?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
soak in a vinegar solution, then scrub. Wiping the hood down regularly and minimizing splash will help, but not eliminate the problem.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Yep, vinegar works pretty well. I recommend using the cheap distilled ones. Those are good enough.

To prevent calcium deposits in the tank, just make sure you top the tank off a lot.. make sure to refill the tank when there's a lot of evaporation and also checking the water level doesn't get too low too often.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, white vinegar is the best, but not a permanent answer. A (cleanser-free) nylon scrubby pad helps too, just 1 of those maintenance things...

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Will be doing this tomorrow. I wish there was a way calcium deposits could be eliminated by something being used in filters! Might need to invest in a auto top off to help...

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Could I use 0000 steel wool on the glass with the vinegar? I'm using a blade and while I got most of there is still this haze that is not going away with the blade.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I wouldn't recommend using anything metal to scrub down your glass tank regularly. Even a razor blade without applying pressure scratches up the glass - eventually those scratches build up.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I wish there was a way calcium deposits could be eliminated by something being used .
There is...........................Use Ro/DI water. JK, but will eliminate the problem.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I use CLR for calcium deposits. My tap water (well water) has a pH of 8.3 to 8.5. Needless to say, I can run into some major calcium deposits. And I don't have the patience for vinegar. I've never had any issues with using CLR. It is important to rinse well, of course.

And I suspect the prevention is RO/DI water. Avoiding air stones or any source of bubbles helps minimize the buildup around the hood/lid area.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If you keep the tank water level up that becomes less of an issue but still needs maintenance on hoods etc. You need to find a schedule of scrubbing that works for you: razor blades or nylon, neither is a cure-all...I'd be willing to put up with once/month hood/water level deposits at most...but that's me & my laziness. How much does it bother you?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store