Plants Buenos Aires Tetras won't eat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
I used to have a pretty good bunch of hygrophila difformis going, but due to algae covering the leaves, I ended up discarding most of it. I cut back on the wattage of the lighting, increased the distance from the water surface and cut back on the lighting hours. I seem to have the algae under control now, so I bought some new plants — hygrophila corymbosa and staurogyne repens. The plant growth now is not keeping ahead of the munching of the Buenos Aires tetras. I never noticed the fish eating the plants much before because the growth kept ahead of them, but now the new plants have just become expensive fish food. They seem to find the S. Repens particularly delicious. I'm going to put some of the what is left of the plants in a container in the window so hopefully they will grow out some, but meanwhile I'm looking for suggestions for plants the Buenos Aires tetras won't eat. I know Anubias are suggested as being fish-eating-resistant. Any other suggestions?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The new leaves of the Anubias may be munched on, at least that was my experience. But the older leaves will be fine. I found Java Fern to be pretty resistant to pecking as well as the mosses. The Vals seemed to be fairly untasty as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store