Turtle combination suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
Alright, so I need some help. We came into a situation where we are now caring for quite a few turtles, although they have been doing alright, their habitats and husbandry routines are in need of an overhaul.
Here is the current turtle count:
Tank 1: 1 Red-Eared Slider, 1 African Sideneck, and 1 Musk Turtle
Problems with this tank: Musk Turtle has begun to chew on African Sideneck Turtles toes/tail, the musk turtle needs shallow water while the Red-Eared Slider needs deep water. Right now it is kind of between the 2
Tank 2: 2 Map turtles
Tank 3: 1 Red-Eared Slider

What we would like to do is figure out a better recombination of these turtles that would be compatible, and to overall upgrade the habitats for all of them. We are planning on creating 2 indoor turtle ponds (100g and 175 gallons), and would like to fit whichever turtles that would be compatable into those 2 ponds. Any thoughts?

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
Very few people who keep reptiles will ever suggest mixing different species. Turtles can be fiercely competitive and quite hostile towards each other, and they can seriously hurt each other. It's best to give each their own enclosure. I realize that's very inconvenient when glass tanks are being used. Have you considered alternate enclosures, such as rubbermaid stock ponds with suspended overheat heat lamps/UV bars? I find most standard glass tank sizes are not great for turtles anyway, because they tend to have more height than turtles can use and not nearly enough footprint.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store