Tank stand question on poly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
So I built a stand years ago for my 75g tank for my turtle. Well that turtle passed away this past week so the tabk will be getting stripped down, thoroughly cleaned and starting new. At this time I figured I would put some more coats of poly on since some was chipping off. My question is should I sand down the stand first then apply poly or just put the poly right on top of it?

Anyone recommend a certain type of poly? I was just using normal furniture poly, didn't know if anything was stronger?

If you say to sand down first, what grit paper should I use?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'd follow the can recommendations for the specific poly coating you choose to use. Generally, if the stuff on there is loose and chipping, what you put over it will likely flake off also.

I typically paint my stuff with an oil based KILZ or Zinsser product, then top coat with paint. Those oil based primers pretty much cover, seal in and hold anything.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Yea I was going to paint it but I really like the stain look and this stand came out perfect matching other wood furniture in my house. I will have to go to lowes or Home Depot and see what they have and read bottle on what it says to do.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A light sanding with 0000 steel wool will help the new coat adhere to the old....I would use an exterior grade poly in the gloss of your choice....

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
+1 to the exterior or marine grade poly. I've used some really good water based poly coatings on floors, etc.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
as mentioned above, surface prep is probably more important that the coating product used. sand down any whitened chipped or blistered areas, rough the rest of the surface down with fine sandpaper or steel wool, and wipe don thoroughly with a damp rag to get off all the dust.

i've always been a fan of spar varnish for surfaces that are going to get wet; altho i haven't used any of these newfangled water-based polyurethanes. get the best stuff you can find; no point in cheaping out on a smallish project.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
Sand to 120-150. It is important to feather those edges where the old finish failed. Scrape around the area to remove any more flaking just be careful and avoid scratching the surface.
Forget about spar varnish. You don't need it. Why? The biggest difference between spar and regular is the addition of UV inhibitors in the spar.
Water based can go over oil. I don't recommend the reverse though. If you are looking for a satin finish use gloss for 2 coats and the satin or semi gloss as the final. The difference between a gloss finish and a satin or semi gloss are the flattening agents in the semi and satin. If you don't fully stir the satin/semi you have gloss.
If you want a gloss finish then rub out the final coat. The sheen from a gloss finish that's not rubbed out is very harsh. Rubbing it out calms it down.
When I am finishing a new project I don't bother to sand the first coat. It is only filling in the pores of the wood. I do sand the second coat and if I stop at 3 I rub out the third. When I do 6 coats I sand even coats only. And when I am done the surface will be like an auto finish. The sheen may vary but you can take a rag and it will slid across the surface like a just waxed car.

Reactions: Rbishop

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
When you say rub out the final coat, what exactly do you mean?

Also I noticed a spot hidden that I missed some stain, should I use sandpaper lightly to sand that area then stain that spot? Hoping to start this week.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
Normally I rub the final out with 0000 steel wool and lubricate it with some type of wax.
If I want a super smooth surface I go through progressively finer grits wet sanding and wind up using first auto rubbing compound then polishing compound finally a coat of a good quality wax. It's as smooth as a car finish and a rag slides, make that glides across the surface.

If the missing stain can't be seen forget about it.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Sadly I just found some spots where the poly failed and even the stain is gone, very weird. So would 0000 wool be enough to sand down the poly and the stain to reapply stain and poly? Or should I use a sandpaper as well?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store