10 gallon idea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I never thought this thread would come alive again but it did. The ember tetras would look good in a planted 100 gallon with the lights dimmed a bit I think.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
You know...ember tetras, celestial pearl danios or white clouds could work in there perfectly. A school of 6 of any of those species would be fine (heck, for the embers and celestials....you could easily do 8 or even 10). We're talking 1" fish here. Ratio-wise, that's much better than an oscar in a 125 gallon tank or a convict in a 55 gallon, based upon fish size to tank size.

In an established tank, I think 6 otos would be fine in there. Also, 6-8 Corydoras hastatus would be fine in there as well. They're much more diurnal and school in the mid-water column.
Otos wouldn't work, I disagree, they get 2 inches and are a schooler.
I would also have to disagree with the cories, in my experience they need a larger tank because they are way too active.
Also, WCMMs get 1.5 inches, and are also too active for a 10, imo.
This was changed to here: http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/a...tions/200264-stocking-options-10-gallons.html

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I just have a school of 14 ordinary neons and a trio of cherry shrimp in my planted 10g. Filtration is a simple ATI hydro pro #5 sponge filter. You could say it's probably overstocked, but i'd have to debate that. ;-)

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Neons are cool, did you do anything special when bringing them home or acclimating them?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
No. Just standard acclimation procedure of floating the bag and adding a little tank water every few mins for about 30 mins or so.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
LFS here in Raleigh. Amazingly, i've only lost one of them in over the year since I got them.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Instead of neons in a 10, you should do ember tetras.... they're smaller.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Wondering why this thread got so nasty. Sure there are different opinions out there, but there are also some hard and fast rules that most fish keepers go by. In a 10 gallon with good filtration , my personal choice would be a school of embers or CPDs. Both are tiny and very pretty fish. I have CPDs and they are really small, at most 3/4", but I'd say the majority of them are only 1/2". They are neat little fish, but sometimes can be hard to locate except online. You could ask your LFS. That is what I did, and he got them for me one week later. I also have a few ramshorn snails and a couple of shrimp with them. Lots of plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store