Filter issues

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
In the beginning of this year I bought an Aquaclear 70 for my 37g tank and last week it just stopped working. The filter ran dry, I tried pouring water into the filter, that didn't do anything. It stopped working before but I got it to work after a hour, this time I tried for a few days. So today I ended up buying a Cascade 300 and I have it running now, I do have a smaller Aquoen 20 on there to help cycle it faster. If I do manage to get the AC running once more, I'm putting that onto my 20L where I have an old Marineland 200 running.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Turns out the AC needed to be cleaned.... I cleaned it out a few weeks before it stopped working. I ended up putting it on my 20L and put the Marineland on the 37g, replacing the Quiet Flow, to seed the Cascade 300.... So many filters! Well Don't have to worry about filtration on my tanks now. AC 70 on a 20L, AC 50 on a 20H and the Cascade 300(up to 100g) and MArineland 200 on the 37g. I think that's a little crazy on over filtering, what do you guys think?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The impellers on my AquaClear 30's and 70's do refuse to spin from time to time when I power them back up after a water change. I've also had them not fire up after a power blip. All I do is shift the suction tube over and give the impeller a flick with my finger or something long and pointy to get them to take off. A major annoyance of smaller AC filters. Such a great filter. The impellers.. not so much.

I pretty much guarantee this is what happened to you.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
My AC filter used to do that all the time. Nearly any time I turned it off to clean it out, I just prepared to "kick start" the impeller and it was good to go. Kind of a pain, but the quality of filtration made it worth I think.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I keep a little craft paint brush stick with my water change gear for use as an AC impeller flicker. LOL..

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I used to use a wooden skewer to kick start my small AC filters. Never had that problem with my AC 110, however...and ive been rocking the same 110 going on 11 years now.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Me too! Never a failed start with my 110. Must be the larger/stronger pump on them.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
My AC 50 starts up just fine after a W/C but always issues with the AC 70, but it seems fine now and running. I have to kick start my old Marineland 200 when I do a water change. I just move the intake up slightly and it starts. This filter has been running for 5 yrs now and as jumped around tanks.

I thought the AC 70 broke so I ended up with a new Cascade 300 which isn't that bad.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I've been lubricating the shaft the impeller sits on with teflon lubricant and it seems to have helped make sure the impeller always starts after a thorough cleaning.

I'm using Teflon lube, because I have a giant tube left over from when I used to have a pool. I'm sure silicon lube and petroleum jelly would work just as well.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, I've used silicone plumber's grease on various seals and impeller parts. I think it helps, but you have to clean it off and re-apply or it gets nasty.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store