Breeding tropical fish in Kiddie Pools and Stock Tanks - Year 3!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
YIPE!!! Be well, bro. Take your meds and do what the doctors say; often they're correct.

Are all the swords going to be sharing the same pond?

Pcadd

AC Members
Jun 24, 2015
Great that you'll be okay! Cancer is always a terrifying word. I've been wondering if this idea is feasable, intended to try it out for if/when I get cherry shrimp. Figured I would make money and have fun while raising my pets. Do you have any pictures of the pools?

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
UPDATE:

For anyone that doesn't know, St. Louis is the weather Armpit of the world. It is freezing cold, boiling hot, way too much humidity or just bone dry. That changes daily!

Due to the roasting temps I am behind getting fish outside. Here is the rundown.

Pool-1 Black Bar Endlers 16 adults and approximately 35 fry-likely more
Pool-2 Chillie Endlers 15 adults and approximately 90-100 fry, a few blonds in the bunch-Keep in mind these fry will spawn at least once later
Vat-1 Gold Least Killies 5 adults and approximately 18-25 fry. There is a small tree that has a branch with leaves in water and fish hide
Pool-3 Normal Least Killies 8-10 adults and approximately 40 fry-The fry will spawn at least 2 times by fall
Pool-3 Blue Alleni Crayfish 6 adults. Some were just over 1 1/2" in May and are huge now -Also 1,000 tadpoles!!!
Vat-2 Stupid Goldfish, last time I do that guy a favor!
Pool 4 Sunset Sailfin Mollys 8 adults,120 fry -4 Silver Sailfin Molly 3 females 15 fry- 3 Dalmatian Lyertail Sailfin females fry-unknown
Vat-3 Koi Swords 6 adults and they are having some issues

Still to come:
18 Gold Dust Molly
14 Gold Tux Platy
8 Sunburst Play
12 Mixed female Platy

I have to say despite all the health and weather set backs we are off to a fine start. I've been keeping a rough count and we have produced at least 100 Green Tree Frog froglets-50-60 Gray Tree Frog froglets, 30-40 taodlets, too many Spring Peepers to count. I have discovered that Green Frog eggs are a real problem. They form this greasy sticky protective coating that smothers plants, clogs filters and if left will sink to the bottom and foul the water. I hate to do it but I scoop them out each morning. Due to the large numbers of froglets the last several years we will be capturing and releasing a good number of adults next year. I am lucky to have a protected conservation area about 2 miles away.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
UPUDATE

The Red Sunset Sail Fin Molly continue to produce and there are well over 100 fry, the Silver Sail Fins have now joined in as I counted approximately 40 fry. I'm still waiting on the 3 Dalmatian females ready to pop and 1 brown / copper colored female ready to go as well.

Chilli Endler closing in on 200 fry
BlackBar Endler approximately 75 fry at various stages
Least Killies, normal and blond all breeding quickly Normal about 35-40 fry-Blond 20 or so fry
Swords no fry yet
Platys, Blond Endler and Bummble Bee Endler just went outside as temps have been around 95f-100f.
Froglets Green, Gray, Barking tree froglets over 150 collectively-25-30 Toadlets so far.

Note: Green Frog - related to bullfrog eggs cause a toxic shock in pools so be aware!

If you are interested in any fry groups to raise out let me know and we can make a very good deal for you.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Quick Update

Got 1/2 the platys out and within 48 hours 30-40 fry.
Koi Swords dropped fry, 10-15

More mix platys, gold tux platys and gold dust mollys to go out

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
UPDATE;

Almost forgot I put 6 RCS in the pool with the blue crayfish and least killies. I found some very small baby RCS this week. Next year I'll make more of an effort but now I know they can take the temp shifts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store