How To Save 75gal Tank Full of Live Rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
OK, the first thing I've got to say is my tank is being taken over by bubble algae big time. I've tried to get rid of this manually and by critters and neither have worked for me. I'd like to hear from some of you to tell me your ideas. I've even thinking about getting rid of the rock altogether. But new rock cost more than I paid for this. Is there a time range you should replace rock or not? I mean I've had most 10 years. My tank would be better looking without it and I've heard from the LFS tell me why get rid of it. HUH?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've never really had to battle bubble algae before but being non reef tank couldn't you just do a black out for a week or whatever it takes?

The rock in my one tank is close to 10 years old, my uncle has had the same rock since like 1988. Worse come to worse I wouldn't replace it just nuke it and reseed it.

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
What do you mean by "Black Out" here? I'll try anything as long as I don't kill the fish and critters in my tank.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
No lights for a few/several days, also try attacking the cause of algae nitrates and phosphates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store