PDA

View Full Version : Best ICH treatment??

Gebo
01-13-2003, 10:04 PM
In your experience, what is the best ICH treatment?

morleyz
01-13-2003, 10:17 PM
85-86 degree water and 2-3Tbs of salt per gallon. Especially if it's very mild...I'm not a big fan of medicating when it can be avoided.

Matak
01-14-2003, 2:39 PM
I have heard (but I'm no expert) that ich is more an annoyance than a life threatining disease. I am definately with morleyz, if medications can be avoided, it is preferable. However, the ich medications do work if neccessary. I have also heard that ich will always be in your tank and that it is an opportunist waiting for a chance to break out. So then keeping a healthy tank = no ich.

OrionGirl
01-14-2003, 2:48 PM
ICH is NOT always present in your tank. It is a parasite, and can not go dormant for extended periods of time.

for treatment, I agree with Morleyz.

Matak
01-14-2003, 3:22 PM
Went to The Skeptical Aquarist (http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/) and read up on Ich. Surprise, surprise, the notion that ich is always resident in fish tanks is an "old wives tale" and "pure rubbish". You can read about the matter at the link above and go to: Health/ Disease/Parasites and click on the Ich link.

morleyz
01-14-2003, 6:25 PM
I second the S.A. link...he's got some great info on Ich....I wish I had thought of that.

RTR
01-14-2003, 7:57 PM
I'm in general agreement with the above except on dosage - 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon are quite enough salt to do the job. 2-3 tablespoons per gallon could do harm to Corys, some loaches, etc.

d_b
01-14-2003, 8:09 PM
Curious won't the salt harm plants ?

Cichlid Woman
01-18-2003, 8:26 AM
In my experience, ich kills.

I've got clown loaches in my tank (sensitive to some meds), and cories, who don't handle salt well at all. I've also got plants. So ...

The best thing I've ever found for ich is Jungle's Ich Guard (the granules--not the liquid Ich Guard II, which does not work).

Treatment: take out the carbon, do not change the tank temperature, and do not add salt. Dose with the Ich Guard at half strength.

Wait 24 hours. If ...

... you still see ich on the fish, do a water change and dose again, at half strength. Do nothing for four or five days. Ich will be gone.

... you don't see ich on the fish, leave everything alone for four or five days. Ich gone.

Works for me every time, and I've tried lots of methods before finding this one. It also doesn't harm my fish.

-- Pat

Gebo
01-18-2003, 9:07 AM
I've had my aquariums for over 1 year and have never had ich til now and only 1 species (lyonsi) got it, that I could visibly see. I had to rely on LFS and they sold me on Quick Cure. I used that for 5 days, raised temp to 82 and added 1 tbls salt/5 gallons. ANyway, that was last Saturday and the spots were gone by Tues.

At first, they suggested I use Clout but for 90 gal tank it wuld be so expensive. First time can freak you out. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

wetmanNY
01-20-2003, 12:14 PM
That wasn't good lfs advice-- Clout for Ich. Clout is much more toxic, including an insecticide trichlorfon. It's used for more resistant multicellular animals, especially the parasitic flatworms we call flukes. The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago passes their new freshwater arrivals through a short bath-- ten minutes only-- that builds up to full-strength seawater, in order to make flukes drop away. (It doesn't actually kill them.) I've never tried such a concentrated salt bath.

One-celled ciliates have fewer defenses: just one cell wall between them and the brine.

RTR's right as ever-- fishes do vary in their sensitivity to salt. At the first sign of heavy breathing or other stress, you should be ready to do a 50% water change, whether it's salt you're using or formalin/malachite green.

One thing about Ich: you can see when you've been successful.

irishspy
01-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Gebo
In your experience, what is the best ICH treatment?

This is probably going to sound wacky, but I recall reading elsewhere (AquaBotanic.com?) about using garlic powder as an ich cure. Anyone else have any knowledge about this? :confused:

--Anthony

Twilight
01-22-2003, 9:19 AM
Quick Cure med probably is the best to cure Ich once you have it but a good Preventive is one teaspoon of salt especially when starting a tank.

Check out this site......it's interesting.

http://www.aquascienceresearch.com/apinfo/salt.htm

I have never had Ich in any of my tanks in 6 years. The only chem I have ever put in my tanks is Stress Coat and salt. If you put salt in a tank initially you have less problems in the long run.
If you don't believe me then what else could be the reason I have never had desease in my tanks? Luck? :)

AikidoGuy
01-24-2003, 9:05 AM
i was waiting for this question to com eup but it didnt.. so ill ask it. What kind of salt are you using? and have you found one brand of it to be better then another?

Faramir
01-24-2003, 9:44 AM
For disease treatment and reducing nitrite toxicity, salt is salt is salt.

wetmanNY
01-24-2003, 10:36 AM
Actually Faramir for reducing the uptake of nitrite through the chloride cells in the gill epithelium, it's just a chloride ion that's effective.

There are other chloride ions besides those in NaCl. Calcium chloride has two Cl ions, because calcium itself has two positive charges (Ca++), viz CaCl2. So using calcium chloride for nitrite stress is twice as effective as using salt.

Potassium chloride also provides the same relieve from nitrite, and the K ion can be taken up by plants.

BUT, and this is the more important point, when you tell this to a "salter" you can see from the reaction you get that "salting" is actually magical. Loyalty comes into question. Appeals are made to opinion, and to accepted figures of orthodoxy, and one is invited to join "sides."

125gJoe
01-25-2003, 10:14 AM
I hope I never need it, but there is a product called "Super Ich Cure"... I may try that one if needed.

C.Anderson
05-16-2008, 4:29 PM
Soooo...apparently my Columbian Sharks now have Ich.

I just bought them last week, and due to their size (5"-7") I couldn't put them into a quarantine tank for any period of time. So...into the tank they went. A week went by, everything looked great. Then suddenly around tuesday, my Irridescent Shark started showing tiny salt looking white spots...he didn't flash, or show any other signs of discomfort or issues...so I started researching. Well, by today, the Columbians are showing salty looking white spots, and are flashing like mad. Definitely Ich.

Here's the problem...my tanks become a planted tank =/. I've worked sort of hard and some of the plants I've collected have become rather large (it's a 300gal tank). I most certainly do NOT want them to die...much less the Columbians. Is the answer salt? If so, what kind (aquarium salt? table salt? marine salt?), and also, a measured table spoon of each of those salts is going to result in a totally different dosage. A table spoon of table salt will contain a hell of a lot more salt than a table spoon of aquarium salt =/. So what is the actual correct dosage? I have a small bottle of quick cure...but I'm hesitant to use it. I know that in 'half dosages' it should be safe for tetras and catfish, but what about my snails and plants?

Bleh!! :wall:

Cris

NeonFlux
05-16-2008, 4:37 PM
You can try a alternative. It's a medication, but it will not harm your plants or biological filter. Imo, it's pretty effective and it's organic

Ich attack will work

http://www.fish.com/ProdImages/P56858.jpg

http://www.novalek.com/kordon/ich_attack/index.htm

C.Anderson
05-16-2008, 5:16 PM
You can try a alternative. It's a medication, but it will not harm your plants or biological filter. Imo, it's pretty effective and it's organic

Ich attack will work

http://www.fish.com/ProdImages/P56858.jpg

http://www.novalek.com/kordon/ich_attack/index.htm

I'm liking the way that looks. Unfortunately with a 300gal tank, and 2 doses a day...that's 2/3 bottle a day at 15$ a bottle lol. Minimum 5 days. My aquarium has been holding steady at 81*...so hopefully that should speed up the life cycle some.

Guess I'll head down to Petsmart and pick up 3 or 4 bottles and try it. It says it won't kill my shrimp, snails, crabs, or crayfish as well...which is very cool. Hopefully it kills the Ich lol.

Thanks!

Cris

sageautumn
05-17-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm liking the way that looks. Unfortunately with a 300gal tank, and 2 doses a day...that's 2/3 bottle a day at 15$ a bottle lol. Minimum 5 days. My aquarium has been holding steady at 81*...so hopefully that should speed up the life cycle some.

Guess I'll head down to Petsmart and pick up 3 or 4 bottles and try it. It says it won't kill my shrimp, snails, crabs, or crayfish as well...which is very cool. Hopefully it kills the Ich lol.

Thanks!

Cris

I've only had ick once... and this was exactly what I used... in conjunction with raising the temp.

I used this treatment because I had apple snails in the tank also---so/but no plants. Thankfully, it's only a 30 gallon tank. (Well, 29)

Worked like a charm!!

C.Anderson
05-17-2008, 4:14 PM
Good too know!

Unfortunately I think I waited too long to start treatment...I put 180ml in yesterday, and another 180ml in today...but the sharks are getting sort of listless and laying on the bottom rather than being active as usual. Hopefully this works though...they're such GREAT fish and it will take a long time to grow 5 more to match them. Plus they have developed individual personalities and I'd hate to lose them to my inexperience =/.

Cris

Edit~ On a side note, they're still quite active at feeding...so maybe there's hope!!

C.

NeonFlux
05-20-2008, 9:55 PM
I've only had ick once... and this was exactly what I used... in conjunction with raising the temp.

I used this treatment because I had apple snails in the tank also---so/but no plants. Thankfully, it's only a 30 gallon tank. (Well, 29)

Worked like a charm!!

Wait, what do you mean? Using this can hurt inverts?snails, shrimps?

Slappy*McFish
05-20-2008, 10:24 PM
She said she used it because she had snails...that implies that it's safe to use with snails does it not? Besides, the label says it is invert-safe.

excuzzzeme
05-20-2008, 11:20 PM
My best anti-Ich treatment ( without plants, snails) is salt and temp increase. Works for Velvet as well. Salt of 1tablespoon for each 5 gallons water and temp up to 80-82.

NeonFlux
05-21-2008, 1:36 AM
Ooh I see. i thought he had a apple snail infest

C.Anderson
05-21-2008, 2:47 AM
Well, it's hard to say if it's working or not =/. The sharks aren't very active until feeding time (unusual compared to normal)...they mostly just lay along the bottom or find a bit of current to hover in (I think this helps them breathe...for all I know their gills are FULL of freakin Ich =/....). At feeding time they act 100% normal. I lost one of my black kuhli loaches...unsure of the cause, he didn't appear to have any white spots on him. Water parameters are great. Snails, crabs, and ghost shrimp are doing great, and today was my 4th day of dosing 180ml into 240gal (7.5ml per appx real 10 gallons of water, not rated tank size...base dosage is 5ml per 10gal). I was only running the Fluval FX5 (the other filters have Carbon in them) but today I removed the carbon from one XP3 and started running it too. The water flow was just a bit too sluggish for my taste with only the FX5 running. All of the other fish have cleared of white spots. The sharks still have marks all over them, but it's hard to tell if it's white spots or not (it could be light scarring/residual marks from the spots due to their smooth silvery skin). I'm going to continue to dose the tank until I run out of product...which should be about 4 more days (for a total of 8). I'll make a judgement call then and decide whether to go buy one more bottle for a total of 11 days dosage.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Cris

Rbishop
05-21-2008, 4:39 AM
Cris....you might want to start a thread on your issue....this one is 5 yrs old....and about treatments in general.

C.Anderson
05-21-2008, 9:43 AM
Cris....you might want to start a thread on your issue....this one is 5 yrs old....and about treatments in general.

Sure thing! I didn't even look at the date. I'll start a new thread, but would you mind merging the information after I posted into it, or I can quote it all and we can go from there? Just delete all the posts after my original if you like when you merge? I think there's good info here for sure, as it does seem to be working for me.

Thanks!

Cris

brents_advice
01-25-2011, 12:02 AM
I have tried this and it works everytime... First step is to get a plate. Using your fish net, remove one of the infected fish from the tank. Gently lay the fish on the plate. Most fish will calm down and stop flapping around in about 30 to 45 seconds. When you fish is nice and calm, using a pair of Revlon Diamond Grip Tweezers, gently remove all those pesty little ich parasites. Then turn the fish over and repeat. Return the fish to the tank. It may gasp a few times, but it will be ok. Just simply repeat this step over and over on all your fish untill no more ich is visible. Wait a few days, then check fish again. If the ich returns, just do it all again. If you happen to accidently pull off a fish scale or two when removing the ich, don't worry, it'll grown back eventually.

feylind
01-26-2011, 3:45 AM
i used sterazin by waterlife it worked fabulously

BettaFishMommy
01-26-2011, 12:35 PM
i have had good results with 'Ich Guard' in liquid form when treating bettas and australian rainbowfish. did not raise the temperature at all and spots were gone in 3 days.

LM999
07-05-2012, 4:24 PM
SO HAPPY - due in part to this helpful forum, I BEAT ich in my new 16-gallon tank with high-temp water (80-86 degrees - whoa!) and lots of sea salt - maybe 1 to 1.5 teaspoons per gallon... and my baby fantail goldfish have survived and are now ich spot-free. I'll keep water temps up another 2 days then slowly return back to "normal"... 68-72 degrees.
NO CHEMICALS! WOO-HOO! It worked! Thanks, Aquaria Central.

Rbishop
07-05-2012, 4:34 PM
I'd keep the temps/salt there until a full week past any visible signs have left...

tosoross
07-11-2012, 10:51 PM
I use warm water to treat ICH for betta fish. Blend hot water with room temp. water until it's about 37 degree celcius ,then put ICH betta in this warm water. Let the water cool down at room temp...repeat these steps 3 days. Your fish surely healthy again and ICH has been get rid of 100%!